Mechanical Engineering – About the course, Top Colleges, Admission Procedure and Placement Opportunities
If you played building blocks in your childhood and still love to make small tools around your house, then your career as a Mechanical Engineer is all set. But to become an exceptional in Mechanical Engineering, all you need to do is drive your career gear towards the field from scratch.
Who is a Mechanical Engineer?
A mechanical engineer is an expert who designs, analyses and manufactures machines that help reduce human load. From coding and designing to manufacturing and analyzing, they have a pivotal role in the development of a product. Thus, those products ease the hassles in real life.
Career graph of Mechanical engineering
Mechanical engineers are required in information technology (IT), automotive, aerospace, biotechnology, electronics and energy industries. Some mechanical engineers have also turned as scientists for research centers. Apart from that, mechanical engineers have scope in ISRO and also in the Indian Armed Forces.
Some of the main sectors that recruit mechanical engineers are Automobile, petroleum, oil, gas, transport, railways, aircraft, laser materials, robotic inspection systems and cryogenic technology.
How to proceed for Mechanical engineering after Class 12?
After Class 12, colleges select students based on direct admission and entrance exam admission. Students must have scored above 60% in their examinations and should have physics, chemistry and mathematics as their core subjects. In the case of reserved candidates, an aggregate score of 55% and above is accepted.
College options available for students
Students finishing class 12 exam can take mechanical engineering or its specializations at State-run universities, colleges affiliated to State-run institutes like Anna University, Deemed universities recognized by UGC and Centralized Universities such as IIT.
Alert: For admissions at Top deemed university in Tamilnadu, click here.
To Join Colleges affiliated to state run Universities (Admission Procedure)
For admissions in engineering institutions affiliated to Anna University, the Tamilnadu government conducts TNEA counselling sessions every year. Students interested in joining engineering institutions in the state are eligible to apply if they have completed the Class 12 exam or its equivalent.
- Once registered for TNEA single window counselling with relevant documents, students will be invited to attend counselling sessions based on rank list. The ranks are decided based on marks obtained by students and other supplement quota.
- During single window counselling, documents of students will be verified and will be offered to place admission in the college available vacant at the time of counselling.
- Then, students can join the college by paying the fees mentioned in the admission order passed though TNEA counselling.
How To Join Deemed Universities in Tamilnadu
For admissions at deemed universities in India, students should clear either JEE or SAT or Entrance exam of the institute. Based on the scores one secure, seats will be allotted.
Scores of National or State level B Tech entrance exams such as JEE Main, WBJEE, BITSAT, SRMJEEE are accepted. Post graduate students are selected based on their GATE score.
What are the Top Indian colleges/universities that offer Mechanical engineering
- IIT Bombay
- IIT Madras
- IIT Delhi
- IIT Kharagpur
- Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology
- Amity School of Engineering and Technology
- Parul University
- NIT Trichy
- Hindustan Institute of Technology
- Jeppiaar Institute of Technology
- SRM Valliammai Engineering College
Top companies in the country that recruit mechanical engineers are:
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL)
- JCB/Hero Honda
- Armed forces
- Software companies such as TCS, HCL
For engineering admissions at top engineering colleges in Tamilnadu and Top deemed universities in Tamilnadu, Call (+91) 996 21-43721 .