Life of a marine engineer and myths around the role
The craze on marine engineering among the student community has never gone down. All thanks to the common myths and rumor’s that’ve been twirled. Once a student finishes the course, they can work on ships post completion of exams and recruitment activities.
Though they are eligible to work on ships, companies recruit them on contract basis, train them and make them permanent only if the administration feels the potential inside the cadet. Post completion of training and class 4 exams, the cadet will become a 5th Junior Engineer. He/she is all set to work at seas. The promotions will be based on ranks – 4 th Junior, 3 rd Junior and so on. The top position in the marine department is Chief engineer.
Common myths on marine engineers
- Marine Engineers are drunkards.
- They are not serious in commitments and relations.
- They can travel to any country without any restrictions.
- They lead a luxurious and exemplary lifestyle.
- Marine workers are chain smokers.
But the facts are…..
- Being at sea, isolated from land doesn’t make a responsible individual drunkard. Because, marine engineers and staff on board at sea have a responsible task of shifting goods, people with visionary dreams and sometimes on ground tasks of saving lives from enemies. In such cases, how come one will get drunk and sleep. Above all, marine staff are trained to remain disciplined and alert.
- Like every individual, marine engineers adhere to the laws of land and sea. They can’t travel or roam without prior information or instruction. Above all, marine engineers can’t go off duty without deck engineer or chief engineer instruction.
- Marine engineers may lead a luxurious life, but not at sea and at all ships. Because, engineers who serve at goods carriers used to stay at the cabin accommodating a bed and basic essentials. That’s the luxurious lifestyle of a seaman / Engineers at sea.
- As already mentioned, marine engineers are trained to remain disciplined and combat hard lifestyles in sea. Smoking won’t help them to combat.
If you want to remain at the top and serve the best as marine staff, join marine related courses at maritime institutes in Tamilnadu. But choose your colleges wisely. If you’ve issues in selecting the best institution that would mold the captain inside you, visit Toppersno1.com. We’ll help you achieve your dreams.